Sunday, July 14, 2013

What happened to My Links? How can I enable them?

If you've used My Links in SharePoint 2007, once you've upgraded to SharePoint 2010 you'll notice that there is no My Links option in the My Sites of the SharePoint 2010. With the introduction of Tags and Notes feature of the SharePoint 2010 Microsoft hid the My Links feature so they would like to push Tags and Notes more and they don't want people to use My Links. I can't blame them because once you start using the tags and notes feature you will see hat it way more powerful mechanism to manage and store the links and other bookmarks. I will create another blog post about how to tag external links in the SharePoint.

Let's get back to subject of this blog post. Your "My Links" went a bit of under the hood however nothing has been lost. Even if you've migrated from SharePoint 2007 your links are still there but you have to dig a bit to reveal them.

We will reveal them together in this blog. First if we look at Out of the Box My Sites or our famous top right menu there is no "My Links":
 
 Microsoft hid our links at /_layouts/myquicklinks.aspx page. If we navigate to http://mysites:8080/_layouts/myquicklinks.aspx page we will be able to see our links carried over from the SharePoint 2007 migration:

























Now we would like to add this to somewhere easy to navigate. The easiest place to add to my links as menu item is to add them My Sites top navigation menu. In order to do that we need to browse to SharePoint Central Administration > Application Management > Manage Service Applications > User Profile Service Application and select Configure Personalization Site option in the My Site Settings group:

We will click to the New Link option on the menu to add an item to My Site top navigation bar:





We will fill the following information in the New Link form and click Ok once we are done.
URL:  http://mysites:8080/_layouts/myquicklinks.aspx
Description: My Links
Owner: [Add your Site Collection Admin]
Target Audiences: All site users



Voila!!! here is our mysteriously hidden My Links page revealed:


I hope this helps...

No comments:

Post a Comment